Wednesday, January 4, 2012

1950's Christmas decorations

I took a few quick photos before taking down the tree and un-decorating the house.

1950's variety stores, popularly referred to as five-and-dimes, sold a fascinating assortment of inexpensive products. My mother frequently took me to one of these stores when we lived in Newport, RI. (I think it was Kresge's but 55 years later I'm not 100% certain.) The wide wooden floorboards creaked as customers walked back and forth and there were long aisles of glass counters set on sturdy wooden bases. I can still remember the lingering smell of wood polish. I have some interesting vintage jewelry from the 3/$1 bin but will save that for another time.

Most of these creche figures were purchased at what-I-think-was-Kresge's for less than $1 each and were made in Italy. Four smaller angels were a Christmas gift from relatives. The original cardboard stable was falling apart after being used for 4 decades and I reluctantly retired it to a high shelf. This replacement is adequate but doesn't have that distinctive vintage appeal.



Three Napco ceramic angel figurines. Santa is a mystery. He appears to be made of papier mache covered with wax. There are no identifying marks and so far my online research hasn't turned up anything like him. Any ideas?



This Royalite snowman is illuminated by a small interior light bulb. It appears that he needs a good cleaning but the "dirt" is actually scratches on his legs and stomach. The red plastic boots were a popular '50's novelty that originally contained candy.


A trio of plastic reindeer with Rudolph in the background. 



Years of incorrect storage corroded my old figural glass ornaments and they are now kept safely in a china cabinet. The mushroom, vase and table lamp- and a Santa that's too fragile to hang- are all that remains of a large collection that was destroyed when my dad accidentally dropped the box they were stored in. It was a sad day, indeed. The angel is almost as old as I am. And the cats are modern tree lights.


I frequently use eBay as a reference for determining an item's age and manufacturer and was surprised to find that many of the decorations on this page are available there.

No comments:

Post a Comment