Monday, August 1, 2011

Introduction

I always jokingly referred to my mother as a pack-rat but after my father died I realized that he had kept Mom's "collecting" tendencies at a manageable level. While the attic was full of her treasures- household objects that weren't discarded when they went out of style or stopped working, my childhood dolls and toys, outgrown or outdated clothing, and so much more - the living space in the house itself was uncluttered.

After Dad passed away my mother began accumulating trash and treasures. If something was on sale she bought it: books, nicknacks, clothes, small appliances, costume jewelry, etc. She discovered a local antique shop and purchased whatever looked interesting, including three desks that she didn't need. Eventually I inherited it all, as well as my parents' 1940's home, and initially threw away over 200 trash bags full of worthless junk. What I kept is unique to the 1940's through early 1970's.   

Part of my daily routine is looking through vintage blogs, delighting in seeing new pictures of mid-century treasures. I never thought about blogging before but realized that there are others who might enjoy my eclectic collection. Everything was purchased new for household use. If there is a story or memory associated with an item I'll share it with you.

I've been staring at the Publish button for a couple of weeks. OK, let's do this!

3 comments: