Sunday, March 25, 2012

My parents' wedding 1934

Previously I posted a picture of a 1930's white satin gown that may have been an altered wedding dress. I didn't think it was my mom's and decided to compare the two by looking at old photos. Definitely not the same dress but I made an unexpected discovery. The professional sepia-toned wedding photographs have faded significantly and urgently need to be scanned, darkened a bit, and preserved online. Done!

Oh! But first, another treasure from steamer trunk #2...

The satin Nisley shoes my mom wore for the wedding.

 


The shoes are almost 80 years old but look surprisingly modern.
The soles show wear and I wonder how Mom kept the white satin so clean.


My father was a graduate of the Naval Academy and my parents were married in the chapel.


Traditional arch of swords. The matron of honor was my crazy aunt Bert. Her husband Tom, my mom's brother, is on the far right. Dad's best man was his Academy roommate, Al, who remained a lifelong friend.

The reception was held at Tom and Bert's home.
Until now I had never noticed that the privacy screen was made of international flags.


 Cutting the cake with Dad's sword.



Enlarged to show the 1930's women's clothing and accessories.

The children are my cousins, Tommy and Jeannie.

I still have that!






I wonder what the neighbors think about the assorted stuff I've photographed on the front porch and in the front yard. First a doll the size of a two-year-old and now... a sword?!?

4 comments:

  1. Such beautiful photographs...You're very lucky to have so many family treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dana. I'm thankful that my mother managed to keep so many special mementos. Each new discovery is like a precious gift.

      Delete
  2. These photos are so lovely and I couldn't help but enlarge them to take in the details. I really love the use of the flags and seeing how everyone was dressed. Your parents were such a lovely couple. I've really enjoyed seeing what's in the trunks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely treasures! Crazy Aunt Bert? She sounds like our kind of girl..

    ReplyDelete