Friday, April 27, 2012

A herd of vintage cream and sugar sets

This is one of those collections that I didn't realize I had. While sorting through a cabinet I found three sugar bowl and creamer sets and thought of a few more in the basement and attic. A few? I found almost a dozen.    


My sentimental favorite. Russel Wright was a popular designer of mid-century tableware and furniture that had a distinctive modern look. In the 1950's the Ideal Toy Company produced a set of plastic dishware based on Wright's American Modern pattern.


 His signature appears on each piece.


This is what's left of a childhood tea set by Banner. I'm often surprised to find that some of my more obscure 1950's toys -like this one- are available on eBay.

A 50's classic... My dad bought a set of Boonton Melmac. It was advertised as being unbreakable and he enjoyed demonstrating this to his friends. Must have happened frequently if I still remember it.


Discontinued Lenox Colonial Collection pattern.


Belleek Ribbon and Bow. This set has the second green mark, dating it to 1955-65. I should have used something as a reference for size in the photos. This petite pair could be used on a breakfast tray.


Rose and Daisy china by Pickard. The manufacturer's mark was used from 1925-1930.



A similar pattern by Stouffer. I'm not sure of its correct name but it's also referred to as Rose and Daisy.


Etched and frosted glass set. Very sparkly.


I have two more sugar bowls in this pattern.



When I was getting married brides generally only registered for tableware including everyday and formal china patterns. Today's bridal registries are so much more practical and realistic. Most of my china was never used. This is my everyday, Fireglow by Royal Doulton.


Part of a silver-plate tea set, another wedding gift that was never used. It's been stored in the attic for 40 years.


There are at least two other sets lurking somewhere as well as odd pieces without mates. This is one of those times when I think about opening an Etsy or Artfire shop. There's just too much here for me to enjoy or display properly.

2 comments:

  1. Love the Russel Wright and the Boonton. Back in 1967, I picked Royal Doulton as my everyday china too, only to realize that 18- and 19-year-old newlyweds couldn't afford to replace it when it broke...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Royal Doulton everyday was rarely used but must have had a design flaw because the coffee cup handles snapped off easily.

      I'd forgotten all about this until trying to remember what we used instead... my parents gave us a set of Blue Snowflake Corelle. I just looked it up online and the snowflakes have an interesting atomic design.

      Delete