Friday, February 24, 2012

Interesting old photo

I've been going through two old steamer trunks in the attic, chronicling what I've found, taking pictures, doing online research. One of the trunks contains an unexpected cache of 1930's mementos. Yesterday I saw this picture for the first time and wish I knew the story behind it.

 My father is seated at the far end of the table with his hand raised.


 Where was this picture taken? Written on the back...

Should be "Caimanera".
Pepe's Club in Caimanera, Cuba! Sounds exotic and slightly dangerous.
Who are these men and what are they doing in Cuba? Naval officers, maybe?

2 comments:

  1. So interesting to run across things like that...and a little bittersweet for me, because it always crosses my mind for a split second that I should ask one of my parents about it, but they've both been gone for many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Dana, my parents have also been gone for a very long time and I know exactly what you mean. It's impossible to adequately explain the feelings. Why did my mom keep particular mementos? It makes getting rid of things more difficult.

      Back in the 1970's my dad was convinced that computers would eventually play a significant part of our lives. I wish he could see how right he was.

      Delete