Friday, February 3, 2012

Mid-century attic finds


I've been writing a yet-to-be-published post about the attic and snapped a few quick photos. When I looked at the pictures later I noticed something... besides the thick layer of dust on everything. What is that thing on the left-hand side? I went upstairs to investigate.
                                                                         


Amazing! Gravel art is a collectible example of mid-century decor. This was made from a craft kit, similar to paint-by-numbers. The piece is about three feet wide and needs some minor cleaning. Where can I hang it?


~~~

These unusual metal cattail lamps have their original stitched parchment shades. Both need to be rewired.
The Chinese lady lamp is another early '50's relic. My mother selected it when my parents bought Heywood-Wakefield Ashcraft living and dining room furniture at Kazanjian's in Newport, RI. I wish I had the skill and ambition to refurbish the Hey-Wake.



The two steamer trunks are pre-1950. I haven't opened them for at least 20 year and don't recall much about their contents. I know the trunks are full of sentimental mementos including letters my dad wrote to my mom during World War II. Yep, it's time to open them again and rediscover more old treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment