Thursday, January 19, 2012

Oodles of Poodles

While looking through my photos of vintage trash and treasures stored in the basement something caught my eye and I ran downstairs to see what it was.

Old roller skates, a couple of vintage thermos jugs, dead flashlights, boxed Cootie game...
Wait a minute... Is that a POODLE?
~
As soon as I picked it up I recognized this desk organizer. A thick spiral of gold-tone medal that looked like a large spring ran down its back to hold letters and envelopes. The tail was a black pen. There's a reservoir on top of its head that holds the remnants of a small sponge used to moisten stamps and seal envelopes.



Sponge remnant on top of head. Photographed on vintage tree stump.

Finding this poodle reminded me of others and I was able to locate them all. It was like a treasure hunt. :) 
~

In the late 1950's one of Mom's lifelong friends came to visit and brought me 7 or 8 plushies that appeared to be carnival game prizes. I remember receiving two large teddy bears. And a couple of poodles.

This little guy is mad. He lived in the attic far too long and his ribbons need to be ironed.



My spaghetti ceramic poodle. I named her Tippy because her base is uneven and she rocks slightly.



The only visible damage is chipped paint on her hat.


Little Golden Book published in 1952. Pantaloon the poodle wanted to be a baker and attained his goal through an act of kindness.





Scatter pins. These were a popular accessory in the '50's and usually came in sets of two. Some like my poodles were "twins" while others were related like a horse and colt.


I remember when my mother bought this adorable couple at the five-and-dime. According to the price tags these were $1.19 each and purchased at J. J. Newberry. This could be the store whose name I wasn't sure of in my Christmas post. These may not be poodles but they sure are cute.

 


Years ago I learned an unfortunate lesson while cleaning another vintage ceramic figurine. Painted details that were added after the piece was glazed and fired will wash off. Now I use a drop of shampoo on a soft moist cloth to rub away stains and dirt. I can't remember where I heard of using shampoo but it's a very effective cleaner and gentler than most other products.
~
Finally, a paint-it-yourself project from a craft kit. This odd plaster dog looks vaguely like a cockapoo.
Dog? What dog?

2 comments:

  1. oooo i love all your poodles. the stuffed guy especially. i have a few ceramic ones, and have been on the lookout for some reasonably priced stuffed dudes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! While looking at your nifty collection of Dream Pets I remembered that I have one- a red poodle. I looked in the closet where it had been stored for at least 20 years and moths had destroyed it. It's a lovable mess and is perched on my computer.

    ReplyDelete