Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Old photographs + I still have that!

It was only recently that I decided family photographs could be thrown away. This is another example of my feeling obligated to keep things because they meant something to deceased family members. I was looking through a box containing hundreds of photos and kept finding pictures of the front yard in the springtime year after year, over and over again. At that moment the cull began. So far I've thrown away over 300 pictures with no guilt or regret.

In an envelope marked "1962" I found pictures of myself wearing a particular dress I thought I had seen hanging in the attic. This was one of the select garments my mom held onto while we were moving from place to place. After my dad retired and we moved here my mother kept ALL my outgrown and outdated clothes. Seriously.

I went upstairs and located the dress immediately. I looked around and felt like I was standing in a well stocked 1960's closet. Mom strung a clothesline back and forth, sideways and crossways between rafters and eventually filled it with clothing. A makeshift wooden clothes rack had broken and there's a pile of mid '60's mod classics that needs to be picked up and placed... somewhere.

It's a shame that steps weren't taken to preserve the better garments. I saw a long formal gown that had been covered with a plastic dry cleaner's bag that's so old it's disintegrating. Silver beads on a floaty chiffon tent dress had tarnished. Darn this blog! Without it I would have continued to ignore the attic and wouldn't suddenly have a ton of vintage rescue projects.

On a positive note there are more photo/clothing match-ups to come. :)

~~~~

The original picture taken in 1962. That's my daddy's Plymouth.

The same dress fifty years later.
Front (without belt)
The dress is made of printed chiffon over gold satin with a crinoline half slip. In the original picture it looks like I was wearing an additional crinoline to make the skirt more poofy. There is no label, only a size tag attached to the slip.
This was stored for 40 years in an unfinished attic with no climate control. Because it has been on a hanger for so long the weight of the skirt has caused some of the bodice seams to separate.
Back

Snap-front belt. Hasn't aged well.

Under-skirt

Crinoline

I don't know what to do. Newer clothing can be donated to a local charity. But what about oldies like this? What about the garments that should be removed from the attic immediately? Where can I put them? Argh!

2 comments:

  1. you could try selling stuff on ebay. i would be STOKED to find a whole attic full of vintage clothes! and if that seems like too much of a hassle (just thinking about it seems like a lot of work to me) you could give it to goodwill or put an add in the paper. i'm sure lots of people would love to take it off your hands!
    post more picture matchups though! so fun to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've thought about eBay, Etsy or Artfire but you're right. Selling clothes online sounds like a hassle. Plus everything smells like an old attic. Heh.

    Aren't the match-ups fun? I'll be posting another one soon featuring Not-Patty, my 1950's Patty Playpal clone.

    ReplyDelete