Sunday, February 26, 2012

Up to the attic- Steamer trunks part 1

Before I began writing this blog I hadn't been in my home's attic for at least five years and have never spent more than a few minutes there. It's too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter and there are giant spiders lurking everywhere. I've never actually seen the spiders but I know they're hiding up there, waiting to jump on me. 


The attic steps. Giant spiderwebs spun by giant spiders.

I've been to the attic several times now. The first time I grabbed a few things and quickly fled down the stairs. During my second exploration I ignored the invisible spider threat and took time to walk around. Ugh. Silverfish and moths have attacked paper ephemera and clothes. An improvised hanging rack had broken and dumped a pile of clothing on the floor. Dust and cobwebs cover everything. Additionally, when a new roof was installed several years ago black roof-stuff sifted through cracks and fell everywhere in the attic. Thankfully there is no evidence of mice or other furry critters.


I'm thinking of doing a quick photographic tour of the attic to show the scope of what I'm trying to sort through. Clothing, furniture, books, toys, home decor... it's rather overwhelming. For now I've decided to focus on two old steamer trunks and chronicle what I find in them.
****************

I went upstairs and opened the trunks. Wow! When I started the attic exploration I vowed to only bring down a handful of things at a time. So much for that rule. If it were possible I would have dragged both trunks downstairs. They are filled with my mom's keepsakes.

I posted this picture previously. Now let's see what's inside trunk #1.

The top compartment lifts out.

The interior label.
VULCANIZED trunk fiber?


The July 15, 1953 issue of Life magazine featured the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. The old scrapbook has only blank pages inside.

This three-piece outfit appears to be from the 1950's, was never worn and still has the original hang tags. At top left is a skirt, top right a shirt and below them is a pair of shorts.

Two vintage scarves.

Well, I guess I have a handkerchief collection.

Moving on to the bottom compartment.

This coat with fur trim was on top. I brought it downstairs for further investigation. An online search didn't turn up anything except more coats by the same brand, Rothmoor. This is from the 1940's or '50's.

Is this mink?
The same coat photographed in sunlight. The color is a greenish gray.

Cute label.
~~~
Pat Premo was a popular California casual-wear brand. The clothes have distinctive mid-century styling.   http://coutureallure.blogspot.com/ has pictures of similar playsuit-and-skirt combos by Pat Premo that date to the mid 1950's.

 

 The strapless playsuit has a back zipper and is styled like a swimsuit with sewn-in wiring for support.

Maybe no one will notice this needs a good ironing...
Oh look, everybody! A cat!
The matching skirt buttons up the front and has a similar pink gusset in the back. Um... am I the only one who thinks using the restroom would be a hassle?
                      
During a Naval cruise to South America in the 1950's my dad brought bought several skirts and matching purses in Guatemala. 


Two tiny dresses I wore in the late 1940's.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
According to their labels the blue dress was manufactured by Creative and the plaid by Wee Tog. http://vintagefashionguild.org/ is an excellent resource for information about clothing labels but neither brand was listed.

The trunk also contained boxes and envelopes full of old letters, newspaper clippings, and family ephemera.
 
I moved on to trunk #2 and decided to break this into two parts. Online research has been pleasantly surprising... some of its contents date back to the 1930's.

   

4 comments:

  1. how cool! i can't wait to see what is in the second trunk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's been fun looking through the trunks and I can't believe what my mom kept.

      Delete
  2. So many great things! That coat is especially wonderful.

    ReplyDelete