Thursday, September 29, 2011

1950's doll trunks- part 3

Three dolls remain to be rescued from the chaos of trunk #3.

Trunk #3
 
The three are very similar. They are all the same size, can wear the same clothes, and are walkers.

The hard plastic Ginny was introduced in the '50's by Vogue Dolls, Inc. Her popularity led to other companies producing similar dolls like Muffie and Ginger. Ginny was sold undressed and her clothing and accessories were sold separately.

This is my Ginny standing on the box she came in. Her dress and capri set both have a Vogue Dolls, Inc. label. From online research I found that because she has molded eyelashes and straight legs without jointed knees she was made in 1955-56. My mother was furious when one of my little friends "restyled" the doll's hair and it's never been the same. (I was extremely careful after that incident and some of my later '50's dolls, like Ginger shown further down the page, still have their original hairstyles.)

Ginny
***
***

I adore Nancy Ann Storybook dolls. They have the most precious faces and beautiful clothing. The company's clone of Ginny was Muffie and I assumed that she was the doll stored in this box. Wrong. For some reason Ginger had been placed in the box. The mix-up was correctly when I looked for markings on each doll's back.This is the real Muffie who was part of the hodgepodge of unboxed dolls in the trunk and had lost her arms. I've restrung them and put her in a pretty Vogue Dolls dress.

Muffie
***
***
Ginger, who was stored in the Muffie box, is a Cosmopolitan doll. She's wearing one of two outfits that have no labels: a roller skating set with faux leather jacket and a lounging set with blue velvet pants and gold shoes.

Ginger
My Ginger came dressed as a Brownie Scout. Her dress shown on the left has a Terri Lee label and I always assumed they also manufactured the doll. While looking for more information I found that the Terri Lee company used unmarked Cosmopolitan dolls to dress and sell as Brownie and Girl Scouts. 



Finally, an insert from the Ginny box. It sounds to me like Vogue was concerned about losing sales to competing companies and tried to explain why Ginny was better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment