Saturday, September 24, 2011

1950's Doll Trunks Part 2

Part 1 showed an unedited view of what happens when dolls are stored incorrectly. Trunk #1 wasn't bad but the other two... yikes! Let's take a closer look at what was in the remaining trunks.

 Trunk #2. Marie Antoinette and Blondie.
Thankfully the clothes are in far better condition than the unexpected decapitated doll. There are five outfits: shepherdess including a pipe-cleaner sheep, garden party, winter ensemble, ice skating outfit and wedding gown.



The rigid plastic dolls have no markings and I suspect they may have been designed for home crafting. Each has sleep eyes and painted lashes and a wig attached with glue. Only the head and arms move.

My cousin Barbara gave me handmade Christmas gifts every year and this was one of her creations. The quality and craftsmanship of the clothing and accessories are incredible.



Trunk #3. Attack of the poltergeist.

Inside, a nifty surprise. In the 1950's cloth handkerchiefs for children were often designed with appealing graphics. The Saturday hankie on the right was part of a Days of the Week set. The duck and frog are by Tom Lamb, an illustrator of children's books.


A hand towel for the beginner embroiderer.



The dolls that weren't in individual boxes...


The red-head is an inexpensive doll that my mom bought for me when we were grocery shopping. She's so cheaply made that the hair is rooted in a halo pattern and pulled back in a ponytail to cover her bald head. The only mark: "Japan".

The doll in pink- I vaguely remember my dad giving her to me after he returned home from a trip. She has movable arms and head, sleep eyes, painted lashes and odd wiry hair. Impressed on her back: "Duchess Doll Corp. Design copyright 1948."
 
The next doll and clothes were part of a set that was cleverly packaged as a clothing store. I took it to school for show-and-tell in 3rd grade. Big mistake. A couple of brats tore the whole thing apart when no one was looking. I believe there was a taller doll in the set. Perhaps that's her leg? The survivor has the same characteristics as the Duchess doll but her hair is finer and straight. On her back: " Plastic Molded Arts Corp. LLC. New York."

Part 3, coming very soon- The dolls in the boxes: Ginny and her clones.

2 comments:

  1. You never cease to amaze me with your collections and the knowledge of them.

    I chuckled at the thought of your Mom becoming furious over the hair restyling,, glad it wasn't me that did it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. :) I've learned so much on line while trying to write accurate descriptions.

    It's odd that I remember the hair incident. How old was I... 5 or 6?

    ReplyDelete