Monday, September 12, 2011

NotPatty

The Patty Playpal doll was introduced in 1959 and was #1 on my Christmas list. She had beautiful long, straight hair and a lovely face and was the same size as a toddler. The ad campaign stressed that Patty could wear human-child clothes. Cool! I couldn't wait!



So. I didn't get Patty. Instead Santa brought me an unattractive clone. Her face was plump and generic. The hair... oh, the hair. Instead of the long silky gorgeousness she had the ugliest poodle perm imaginable. I was disappointed and NotPatty was never one of my favorites. My parents, on the other hand, thought it was hilarious to place the faux-child on the back seat of our car and take her with us on drives.

Not Patty!


When my family moved here NotPatty was sent to the attic and spent 30 years staring at the rafters. I eventually brought her downstairs to see how my cats would react to a small, unfamiliar human. They weren't impressed. However, I felt sorry for NotPatty, gave her a bath, bought her some new clothes and didn't return her to the attic. Now I'm glad that she wasn't discarded because she's the right size to model my childhood clothing and accessories. And... well... she is kind of cute.

But I still don't like her hair.


Poodle perm. Even uglier after 50 years.


6 comments:

  1. That poodle perm is almost as bad as the one I got at the mall that time..
    Was NotPatty by chance a "walking doll"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's such a cheap knockoff that she doesn't walk and is made of soft plastic.
    I think we all had really bad poodle perms. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, are you saying you did NOT like the excessive perm I gave you one time? :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a doll that looked alot like her, in 62 I think. She was a walker. I hated her. She was almost as tall as me. She spend her entire life in the closet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Childhood doll-trauma? We haz it.

    I can't remember what it was called but the selling point of the perm you gave me was that it was temporary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ..and that was a lie. lol. Maybe they meant temporary trauma?

    ReplyDelete